around the sun

A more substantial entry – with photos! – about my party, which was fun and random in almost every way, may come later. For now, though:

As of today, my teen ears are behind me, and good riddance to most of ’em.

As of today, I can legally get married in China, should I be so-inclined.

As of today, I have gone around the sun 20 times.

1. yoshio wrote:

Congratulations dude!

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 5:13 am | Permalink
  2. meg wrote:

happy birthday! wow, i had no idea the marriage age in china was that high. in makes sense though, in a backwards sort of way. chinese kids usually don’t date until their late teens or even their early 20’s. a lot of kids tend to be pretty immature compared to american kids until college or work. of course, american kids are usually too mature for their age….

anyway, can’t wait for the info and pics. =)

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 7:13 am | Permalink

D’oh – I went and checked; the marriage age varies, but is apparently usually 22 for males and 20 for girls.

You’re absolutely right about kids being less mature than their American counterparts. Part of it, of course, is that American kids tend to be jaded by the wide variety of non-crappy toys and amusements they have, and part of it is because their parents baby them far too much. I mean, the parents are real hardasses with regard to school, sure, but for everything else, they really do treat the kids like xiao huangdi.

(Perhaps you can sense that I don’t like most of my kids’ parents very much.)

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 10:04 am | Permalink
  4. jon wrote:

Happy birthday, dude. We should have two parties. One in china, one here, and simulcast them to eachother over the internet like a millenium extravaganza…

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 2:47 am | Permalink
  5. Karen wrote:

Happy Birthday,Brendan!!

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 4:34 am | Permalink
  6. yuki wrote:

happy birthday (again! but this time at the right er time, hopefully).

many happy returns!

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 1:14 am | Permalink
  7. Adam Morris wrote:

We have a lot in common Brendan. We’re both from the philly area, rather young, study Chinese, like erhuayin …

And our birthdays are only about a week apart. It’s final. We have to meet sometime.

Even though Chinese kids are no where near the maturity of Chinese kids, I enjoy them because they are far more kid-like and innocent, which for some reason when they’re ten or twelve think that’s what they’re supposed to be.

Ditto with Korean kids. They don’t have the false sense of maturity or security that you see in high school age Americans.

However, having said that, when the Chinese turn 20, that’s when the trouble starts. They aren’t mature enough to be dealing with the responsibilities that come around that time (sex, love, marriage, making money, whatever).

So what to do?

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 3:51 am | Permalink
  8. erika wrote:

Hey, Brendan-

Happy Birthday to you, and many congrats and praises to your parents for letting you live this long!

Lots of love–

Erika

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Agreed re: Chinese kids – they are sweeter, sure, and more innocent, and that really is nice to see. They’re still not living entirely idyllic childhoods, though – I keep telling my kids not to watch so much TV, but it just isn’t working.

I don’t really know what to do. I’ve been trying to subvert the kids, in a way. Not politically, mind you – just in the sense of trying to get them to understand that their teachers can be wrong, that their textbooks can be wrong, and that sometimes they have to think for themselves instead of regurgitating rote-memorised factoids/vocabulary/etc. And – this is a long-term goal, which doesn’t make much sense given that I’m outta this job in another month – to give them a sense of irony and a sense of sarcasm, both of which I consider invaluable tools in dealing with life.

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 8:57 am | Permalink
  10. genny wrote:

brendan, shengri kuaile! enjoy your last few weeks in China and don’t corrupt those children too much…

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 8:21 am | Permalink
  11. blt wrote:

just reading ur journal. van leads me here. its very interesting. happy belated bday!

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 11:27 am | Permalink
  12. jane wrote:

Happy B-Day Brendan! You make me feel like a lao tai po.

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 12:48 pm | Permalink