exit brendan

Updates will come when I get home, but for now:

– I leave Harbin tomorrow – Tuesday, July 22.

– I’ll be going to Beijing by train.

– I’ll be apartment-hunting in Beijing – specifically, in the Haidian district, near the Beijing University and Qinghua University campuses.

– and on July 27, I’ll – hopefully – be getting on a plane back to Philadelphia, where I’ll stay until August 30.

– While home, I intend to gorge myself on Indian, Mexican, Vietnamese, and Thai food, to say nothing of pizza and thick, no-bullshit diner-style mushroom cheeseburgers. I’ll also be open to offers of dimsaam, which cannot be found in Harbin.

– A chocolate milkshake will accompany every meal.

– During my stay, I plan to do the Chinatown Bus tour of the East Coast. Stops are planned in Boston, D.C., and especially NYC, where I’ll be applying for an X-class student visa* at the Chinese Consulate.

– Based on previous experiences with the NYC PRC Consulate, I do not expect the process to go smoothly.

I’m looking forward to seeing you all – well, those of you whom I know in real life and live on the northern half of the East Coast. When I get back, I would like nothing more than to sit down with you over a cup of coffee – real coffee – and a box of doughnuts and hear about what’s been going on. And of course, if anyone wants tales from far-off Cathay, I’ll be happy to tell some.

1. That’s fantastic news, Brendan.

We can’t wait to get you back in the states and engorged with greasy foodstuffs.

Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 1:15 am | Permalink
  2. Adam Morris wrote:

Bon voyage.

Save a chocolate milkshake for me when you come back.

Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  3. John wrote:

See how much weight you can gain while you’re over there. That’s an admirable goal. :)

Tuesday, July 22, 2003 at 11:05 am | Permalink
  4. Kit wrote:

My name is Kit, and I’ve been reading your blog for about a month now; just wanted to say that I appreciate your unique view from inside China. I enjoy reading your blog and hope you continue to write it from the US.

Have fun back in the States, at the bottom of the rollercoaster, as it were….

Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 2:22 am | Permalink
  5. Rich wrote:

Coffee and Donuts? Sure. Drop me an IM. I’m back in Philadelphia, now, anyway.

Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 11:39 am | Permalink
  6. Sarah wrote:

A month in Philly, then back to Beijing? You world traveler, you.
    Hope to see you while you’re home.

Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 12:26 pm | Permalink
  7. jennifer wrote:

ditto.

Saturday, July 26, 2003 at 2:01 am | Permalink
  8. Adam Morris wrote:

Yo Brendan. Kinda gettin tired of seeing this same post every time I refresh. How about doing something a bit different? Or are you on haitus too?

Thursday, August 7, 2003 at 3:43 am | Permalink