the space launch

Man, after all the build-up to the launch of the Shenzhou-5 capsule yesterday, I was expecting dancing in the streets, parties in Tian’anmen Square, and all kinds of fun reactions.

Instead? Nothing. A whole fat lot of stinking nothing. The TV coverage was dull – I mean, yeah, they had interviews with the designers of the Changzheng (“Long March”)-2F rocket that did the lifting, and I got to learn the words for ‘booster rocket’ and ‘insulation paneling,’ but it wasn’t anything even near “interesting” – and there was no real reaction that I could see other than a half-hearted “Yay, Motherland. We’re proud to be Number Three.”

Weak!

Oh, and hi. I’m still moving everything over to the new server, which is as advertised not blocked in China. Still have to figure out why this design works fine in Mozilla but not in IE, and fun stuff like that. I’m doing it in between midterms, to add to the delay. Give me a few days and it’ll be right as rain.

1. John wrote:

Glad to see you unblocked finally! And you’re still showing your Gator spirit.

Reactions to the launch were pretty much the same here, but I would have expected more out of the capital. :P

Friday, October 17, 2003 at 1:26 am | Permalink
  2. John wrote:

Oh, yeah — also, that picture is awesome.

Friday, October 17, 2003 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Glad you like the picture – it’s actually from a larger one I took in Shenzhen last summer; you can see the other 3/4 of it, with this part cropped out, in my photo submission over on http://www.livinginchina.com.

Friday, October 17, 2003 at 2:04 am | Permalink
  4. Daniel wrote:

I wouldn’t even have known there was a space launch if it hadn’t been for news links from foreign media on the browser home page I use. Not that I watch (channel 9 blaaaah) or read (can’t buy it here, haven’t bothered subscribing yet) the Chinese media all that much, but still…

Friday, October 17, 2003 at 11:18 am | Permalink
  5. Sha Sha wrote:

I’m using IE 6.0.28 and your site looks fine to me. It also looks pretty much the same in Opera 7.11, except “Comments” and “(4)” are on separate lines.

Oh yeah, and welcome back! :)

-Sha Sha

Saturday, October 18, 2003 at 3:12 am | Permalink

I’d forgotten about Opera – I’m looking at the site now in Opera 7.0something, and while Opera doesn’t do the overlapping thing that my copy of IE 6 does with the picture, it still doesn’t display the archives or the links or the copyright information that should appear under the “most recent” cell.

Saturday, October 18, 2003 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Hey, wait a minute – I just tried viewing with Opera running in ‘small-screen’ mode to simulate a cellphone, and it’s displaying those cells. So this must be a CSS problem.

Saturday, October 18, 2003 at 10:31 am | Permalink
  8. donny wrote:

the space launch got a good bit of coverage in the states… on late night tv, where they bashed china for being 40 years late. but the times is describing hu jintao as “basking in the glory” of the recent space launch. u seem to make it sound like nobody really cares in china.

Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. Brainysmurf on Saturday, October 18, 2003 at 8:33 am

WHAT? No China blogger has their reaction to Shenzhou’s launch?

C’mon guys, we’re supposed to be talking about stuff people back home would be interested in hearing. Prince Roy and I’ve blogged the episode over at PRC News of course, but it’s not the same as a personal reaction. Is…