The best Thursday ever

Yesterday was the best Thursday ever. Consider:

• After what felt like years but was actually years, I finally got my BA from Temple University. Cum laude, even, which was a pleasant surprise since I would’ve expected something more like pedicabo et irrumabo (my Latin is probably wrong there) . This wouldn’t have been possible without a lot of help from a lot of people who made it their business to see to it that I graduated, particularly Ruth Ost, Ben Stavis, Louis Mangione, and Craig Eisendrath, all at Temple.It’s super-nice to have this out of the way, and as an added benefit, my resume is now 90% less mendacious! (Previous versions said that my degree was “expected June 2005.” This wasn’t exactly a lie — I really did expect it.
  • A CD I got for sending a donation to This American Life also finally showed up on my parents’ doorstep.
  • I received the contract for a large, fun project that I’m not currently at liberty to discuss, and
  • William F. Buckley died.

Later in the day, a massive amount of work threatened to turn it into the Worst Thursday Ever, but then

• I got an email from my mom saying that she was getting ready to send me a care package of butter rum/caramel chocolate bars.

As if that wasn’t enough, I heard that the China Daily was publishing an interview that they did with me at the start of February. (The article came out today, but I’m going to count it under Thursday anyway.) Surely there can be no higher honor.

1. van wrote:

congrats.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 6:03 am | Permalink
  2. I left a comment with three links to that China Daily interview. Unsurprisingly, it was flagged as spam.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 10:56 am | Permalink
  3. michael wrote:

@Brendan: Can you drop me an email? I’ve got a “Chinese on a Mac” question for you”, since you seem to be the expert.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
  4. otherlisa wrote:

Hey Brendan, I went to congratulate you on TPD and saw that the thread was closed due to Troll Infestation – so, uh, Congratulations!

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Permalink
  5. Ryan wrote:

Hey Brendan, just read the article – cool stuff!

Sadly, but not at all surprisingly, I’m never mistaken as a native.

And damn if you didn’t make me look up what a “mynah” was. Not, as I thought, an old woman prone to bilingual greetings.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
  6. Beijing Loafer wrote:

Hey Brendan, congrats and a big hug!!! Just read the article. Yeah, I was confused by “mynah” too!

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 5:29 pm | Permalink
  7. Still, I think it is unfortunate that most people don’t seem to have noticed that China Daily published that interview twice, and it was republished over at china.org.cn. Brendan’s really, really hit the big time now.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 12:44 pm | Permalink
  8. trevelyan wrote:

I have a friend who used to sail with Buckley who – to his surprise – ended up really liking the guy. J.K. Galbraith was also a friend, and called him the perfect debating partner for being eloquent, well-spoken and “invariably wrong”.

No man is an island, and I’d rather have a conservative movement staffed by fun-loving idiots with intellectual integrity than the current crop. Sadly, none of the things that are really there to admire about Buckley’s life would have ever happened without the financial comfort he reaped from promoting an almost unerringly repulsive political agenda. May he rest in peace, but may his ideas die with him.

Congrats on finally getting that diploma.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Permalink
  9. laska wrote:

So when are you going to start your career as a China scholar????? grad school is waiting for you and your lovely Chinese wife, IMO. :-)

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 7:22 pm | Permalink
  10. Poagao wrote:

Congratulations, I know you were looking forward to some of those things.

“China scholar” is palatable; just don’t aspire to become a “China hand” – those people drive me nuts.

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 3:15 pm | Permalink
  11. sabrina wrote:

May happiness be a part of you forever!
    It was through the China Daily that i got to know you and i really feel appreciated it offering the oppotunity of knowing you who has a kind and sensitive heart.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
  12. boyce wrote:

I have read little of Buckley’s stuff, but he wrote a superb piece in 1961 – “Why Don’t We Complain?” – that I find highly applicable to modern-day life.

He is on a train that is overheated and watches as none of the passengers, himself included, mention it to the staff: hence the article’s title.

“For generations, Americans who were too hot, or too cold, got up and did something about it. Now we call the plumber, or the electrician, or the furnace man… With the technification of life goes our direct responsibility for our material environment, and we are conditioned to adopt a position of helplessness not only as regards the broken air conditioner, but as regards the overheated train. It takes an expert to fix the former, but not the later; yet these distinctions, as we withdraw into helplessness, tend to fade away.”

Congrats on your degree!

Cheers, Boyce

Monday, April 7, 2008 at 12:28 am | Permalink
  13. heynihao wrote:

hey,nihao
    I find ur nice weblog and indexed into my website to make more people know it

Saturday, April 12, 2008 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. temple university on Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 7:27 pm

[…] addition to five crownings last night, Belmont took a share of the Atlantic Sun twww.midmajority.comThe best Thursday everThe best Thursday ever Yesterday was the best Thursday ever. Consider: After what felt like years […]